Maclean’s Magazine has released its annual list of Canadian university rankings, and Simon Fraser University has topped the list for 2016 in the comprehensive category.
The post-secondary institution tops the list for a number of reasons, including the development of UniverCity, a model sustainable community on the Burnaby Mountain campus.
The Arthur Erickson-designed concrete buildings also got a nod from the magazine, despite them having “fallen into disrepair,” as well as the gorgeous views from the top of the mountain.
Extensive co-op offerings, excellent grants programs, and consistently high rankings internationally cinched the deal for SFU’s top ranking.
In a separate best medical and doctoral universities ranking by Maclean’s, the University of British Columbia ranked third in Canada, behind McGill University and the University of Toronto but ahead of Queen’s University.
Top 15 universities in Canada, according to Maclean’s:
- Simon Fraser University – Burnaby, BC
- University of Waterloo – Waterloo, Ontario
- University of Victoria – Victoria, BC
- University of Guelph – Guelph, Ontario
- Carleton University – Ottawa, Ontario
- University of New Brunswick – Fredericton and St. John, New Brunswick
- Memorial University of Newfoundland – St. John’s, Newfoundland
- York University – Toronto, Ontario
- Wilfred Laurier University – Waterloo, Ontario
- Concordia University – Montreal, Quebec
- Ryerson University – Toronto, Ontario
- Université du Québec à Montréal – Montreal, Quebec
- University of Regina – Regina, Saskatchewan
- University of Windsor – Windsor, Ontario
- Brock University – St. Catherines, Ontario